I happen to be a big fan of pest control, and I have little to no difficulty harming little critters once they enter my home. My online research turned up a number of home remedies to get rid of fruit flies. Many DIY Fruit Fly Remedies contained wine, apple cider vinegar, dawn, funneled coca -cola bottles, etc. Many of them did work, but not nearly as quickly as the one that I created. It is a no vinegar fruit fly trap! It is not only super easy, it is 100% foolproof and effective. For those of you who simply want to avoid pests, but not necessarily torture them, this is your humane fruit fly trap. For those of you who want to take out your furious anger and make sure you destroy the whole nation, (you probably need a bit of anger management…. 🙂 just a polite suggestion! ), however, you could use this trap to do that as well….
Here is the key that you need to know about fruit flies. They aren’t that bright, not too savvy in the figuring things out department. Their appetites can take them to distant lands, but their brains can’t really figure out how they got in there to begin with. So, without further ado, I give you my recipe for fruit fly disaster….
|Homemade Fruit Fly Trap|
- Plastic Wrap
- Fork (or some other pointy device for hole poking….)
- Check your fruit. The flies tend to linger on the most ripe fruit that you have, i.e. bananas, peaches, etc. Either way, pick a sweet fruit and cut off just a tiny portion of it.
- Place the tiny portion of fruit in a bowl.
- Tightly cover the bowl with saran wrap.
- Poke a few holes with a fork or other device.
- Leave this next to your fruit basket or where the fruit flies tend to linger.
Check the bowl periodically. Once the trap is filled with fruit flies buzzing about inside, you can take the bowl out side and set them free. If you are not into setting them free and want to make sure they are dead for good, you could run the bowl under dish soap and water until they are dead and floating. Gross, I know. Might just be best to leave them outside…
In case you want to see evidence of my awesome fruit fly trap, please check out the pics below!
Submit your fruit fly trap photos or let me know how it has worked for you! Leave a comment below!