Is it really spring? The ground has barely thawed, but I’m thinking of all the wonderful places I can take my kids this Spring. Having kids that are not so little anymore- 14, 12 and 8- changes the dynamics for us. No more little kid children’s museums playing with plastic vegetables or days at the library with a bin of dinosaurs and picture books. But with a 6 year difference between my oldest and my youngest, we always have to find places that please everyone. If you find yourself in the same boat, with “bigger” kids, but still looking for fun family days out, consider these 15 ideas for Spring to get out and about for Long Islanders!
1. Pick a town and day trip . Both Suffolk and Nassau have plenty of towns with activities and great food for all. Consider Montauk, Sayville, Port Jefferson, Greenport, Freeport, Northport, Huntington or Port Washington.
2. Planetarium. Most kids of all ages( adults too) enjoy a show at the Vanderbilt. The museum and estate are great too!
4. Yard sales. Yeah, I know, you’re thinking WHAT? But I give each kid $10 or $15 and we take a nice leisurely Saturday AM ride and usually come home with some goodies for all!
7. Long Island Aquarium. Here’s my review for a fun day trip to the Aquarium and it even includes some nice outdoor activties like a rock wall.
8. Ferry to Fire Island. Lovely day trip, great walks and of course, the beach! Find the schedule here
9. Farms in the Spring. A nice ride out east on either fork will bring you to farm stands and farms. Some wineries have animals. If your family is an animal lover, it’s worth a ride. Pack a picnic or stop at some of the many wonderful farm stands and stock up!
10. Go carting. Too many to list. What kid doesn’t love a go-cart ride or to drive one?
11. Adventureland. I got to review this great little spot back in 2013 and we’ve been back 3 times since. Super day of family fun and even if there aren’t’ a ton of “big” rides for the big kids, there are enough for the short drive to make it worth it!
12. Adopt a pet So many shelters and rescues on Long Island with pets just waiting for their forever home. We have 3 and wish we could have 300 more( oh , those big sad eyes!). Take the kids to several and check out the cats and dogs in need of some family loving!
13. Day trip to NYC. Ok, so this one is OFF Long Island, but a day trip usually delights the whole family.
14. Bowling. It’s very different than wii bowling, that I can attest to! (um, 81 is a good score right?). An afternoon at the bowling alley, minus cell phone distractions, can be some good “old-fashioned” fun for the family of all ages!
15. Mini Golfing (accompanied by ice cream of course). As the weather warms up, getting outside for some mini golf can’t be beat. Too bad we don’t have more places on Long Island, but a google search found some in Ronkonkoma, Farmingdale, Montauk, Freeport, Port Washington, Medford, Centereach, Hicksville, East Meadow, Wantagh, Bayville and Lawrence.
Happy Spring! Let’s remember that family time OFF the electronics and OUT having fun makes cherished and fun memories for all!
Want to read more?
See my other posts about